UX/UI redesign case study — RTE Player
Project plans and process
Project timeline & management
According to scheduled classroom activities, a project plan laid out and incorporated the design thinking phases in the Gantt chart. Select proper methodologies, and associated user experience design process timeline to solve our user experience problem on RTE Player. Our project management followed the Agile method approach to have continuous collaboration work, iteration, development, and testing at every stage. In that process, there were times we had to go back and fine-tune something before continuing. Individual contribution brought to the group to define clinical significance.
Appendix. Project Timeline
Team Saturn: Áine O’Neill, Michael Bengwagan, Michaela McParland, Tom Gillan and Jaesin Yu
● Team lead — Michael Bengwagan
● Project Goal / Final persona by Michaela McParland
● Project timeline / Usability testing plan & script / Navigation structure by Micheal Bengwagan
● Task flow ‘as is’/ Indirect research / Storyboard / Tone of Voice / Paper prototype by Áine O’Neill
● Online research / Competitor & Heuristic analysis / ‘To-be’ Task analysis and User journey flow by Jaesin Yu, Tom Gillan
● User interview / Survey by Each member
● Design materials & visual component by Michaela McParland, Tom Gillan
● Sketch / Wireframe / Prototype / Usability testing by Each member
Roles in each design phase
Each design phase we work differently, one works individually, one mostly together. Detailed roles and responsibilities explained above.
● Desktop researches
● Project goal
All the team members conducted at least one research method to get various angles of findings and broaden our problem areas, reducing the overload.
● Persona / Empathy map / Scenario / Storyboard
● HMW statement / JTBD
● Customer journey map ‘as-is.’
Further research conducted based on HMW statements as we segmented our user groups into three. Each member created a persona from their research area and insights. Group persona, Scenario and Storyboard created by Michaela and Áine and brought into group sessions to define. In this phase, most team members worked together as we needed to decide unanimously to move on to the ideation.
● Task analysis and User journey flow ‘to-be’
● Design system and Tone of voice
● New Navigation structure
In this phase, we teamed up in small groups or alone, divided workflow to move forward. Task analysis and User journey flow ‘to-be’ drafted by Jaesin and defined by Tom for design development. Meanwhile, Áine set up ‘Tone of voice’ for our branding guideline that references throughout the prototype and iteration. Current content structure analysed and simplified by Michael for new navigation structure — understanding the overall Information Architecture (IA) and its contents for UI design. Conventional design patterns, plugin, and prototype programme investigated individually, especially for auto play trailer feature for the prototype, we aim to test usability testing.
● Sketch, Wireframe, Prototype
It was a lengthy process from gathering initial design ideas to digital prototype — various areas we could design and test. In the prototype, each member developed one of each specific task flow. Tom focused on the onboarding, home screen with ‘Pick by Mood’ feature, show page design and tested different prototype tools for auto play trailers. Michaela designed the home screen with ‘Smart pick’ feature. Áine — Live chat, Michael — Share feature and Jaesin — Profile, Rating and Review section. Tom and Michaela created and defined design components from a selected design system template for the prototype.
● Testing script & plan, Recruitment
● Usability testing, Analysis & Synthesis of results
Testing script and plan drafted in a group workshop and polished by Michael. Introduction and script assessed in ad hoc testing by Áine with her prototype. In the tutorial, we changed our ambiguous task guideline and script in sequence to make it clear and straightforward based on feedback. The pilot testing conducted among the members: Facilitator: Michaela and participant: Tom, to find any tricky tasks, priming or prototype error for final testing. In a group workshop, we all segmented our testing result for the last iteration and future exploration. Quantitative data (SUS) analysed by Tom and qualitative data analysis and synthesis by Michael for presentation. Based on the user testing feedback, we changed the prototype, only a minor change, and continued to completion for presentation.
Each member put input, presenting each part of the design phase, which individual-focused more.
Due to Covid-19, we had to set up a new collaborative work environment in which we faced challenges in many aspects during the project. However, all individual members took different responsibilities in each design phase outside their comfort zone to accept new roles. We all contributed the equal amount of workload and made critical design decisions together.